Nancy's Famous Grilled Veggie Sandwiches
2 yellow squash
1 large onion
2 red bell peppers
2 ripe tomatoes
¾ lb fresh mozzarella OR goat cheese
¾ C -1 C basil pesto (commercial or your own)
Fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper
- While grill is heating, slice eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 in slices and salt both sides and let sit in colander.
- Slice zucchini, and squash lengthwise into 1/4 in slices. Set aside.
- Slice onion into ¼ in slices. Separate and place on left side of a long sheet of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bring right side of foil over left, covering onions and seal tightly on all edges. Set aside.
- Cut peppers in quarters lengthwise and seed. Set aside.
- Slice tomatoes in half. Set aside.
- Place onions on grill in foil pouch. Place peppers directly on grill skin side down. Close lid.
- While those grill, rinse eggplant and pat dry. Toss eggplant, zucchini and squash with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove peppers once fully charred and place in bowl and cover tightly to let steam. Remove onion pouch. Do not open. Keep warm.
- Place tomatoes face down on grill. Place eggplant, zucchini and squash on grill. Grill both sides until nice grill marks appear. Remove to platter to keep warm.
- Turn off grill. Place baguette in OFF grill, closing lid and using residual heat to warm bread.
- Remove charred skins from peppers. Slice tomatoes. Line up all ingredients.
Slice baguette open. Remove insides of bread in top of baguettes hollowing out a little. Spread pesto onto bottom of baguette. Layer Cheese, eggplant, zucchini, squash, peppers, tomatoes and onions on top of pesto. Place a few scattered leaves of basil over veggies. Drizzle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Place top of baguette over all and wrap tightly in foil. Place in still warm (but turned off) grill for 5 minutes for flavors to blend.
Slice and enjoy with a glass of local wine or local spirits!